Surprisingly, you don’t have to run everything hard to improve your running speed. Actually, that’s probably the most risky as well as least effective way to go about shaving seconds off of your time. In the world of running, a little speed goes a long way. Knowing how much, how often, and what distances to complete is the key to effective training. Naturally, this will depend on what you’re training for as well as your training background.
Our speed sessions are not quick fixes that promise to transform you into a fast runner overnight. However, with consistent and patient dedication your times will start to drop. The art of it all is balance and timing. Timing refers to the time within the season that you incorporate these and balance refers to the amount and speed of your sessions.
Goals of the Speed Sessions
- Improve leg turnover and cadence – a crucial component of speed
- Develop pace awareness – Garmin watches will be banned. Sorry. Time to break out the old fashioned Timex wrist watch.
- Teach restraint – a good runner will run controlled early on and take comfort in knowing that the real race begins after the halfway point.
- Test your limits – if you have a good foundation of mileage, then hitting your intervals becomes a mental challenge and not just a physical one.
Who can benefit from these sessions?
These sessions are for any experienced runner training for a half marathon or marathon. It is expected that everybody has a solid foundation of running under their belt. These sessions are not designed for someone new to running longer distances. Please don’t worry if you are not “fast”. That’s why you’re doing this, right?
How much is the cost of these coached running sessions?
- Current “Online Coached” athletes: no charge
- Current “Training Plan” athletes: $55/block
- “Friends of Team FC”: – $65/ block
“Friends of Team FC” = You must know someone who is currently training with us or be a former coached athlete
When are these offered?
- Sunday mornings in Yorba Linda or Costa Mesa. We will have rotating locations.
- These running sessions are not offered year round.
- Training will be offered in 3 – 4 week blocks. – sorry, no single session or “drop in” training.
- Sessions are held rain or shine
When do these session begin?
These are offered in two blocks.
January Block: January 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th
February Block: February 12th, 19th, 26th and March 1st
Location will alternate between Yorba Linda and Costa Mesa each week.
When can I register?
Registration for the January block will open up on December 11th, 2011. Registration for the February block will open up on January 31st. If you would like to be notified as soon as registration opens, please contact us.
What experience doe the coach have?
Joby Gutierrez has worked with runners of all abilities from first time runners all the way up to nationally ranked and state ranked cross country runners. Joby has helped numerous runners achieve personal bests, qualify for Boston, or cross the line of their first race. Joby is also a USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coach and Sport Performance Coach.